Ashenfelter & Associates is a Dallas, TX counseling practice born out of a desire to offer help and hope to teens, adults, couples and families as they navigate through life’s many challenges. Call today to schedule your free 20 minute consultation at 214-563-8980. We look forward to having the opportunity to walk with you as you reach restoration. You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter.
So we thought we’d start a new blog segment where we highlight and discuss interesting articles we’ve read on the internet. I hope you find them as helpful and interesting as we do! And, we’d love to hear about any interesting … Continue reading
What is normal? What does it mean to be normal?
Merriam-Webster defines it as - not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle; conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern
Not deviating from a norm, conforming to a type…
How many ways do we see culture trying to shoe horn us all into preconceived patterns and norms that it deems appropriate? In how we dress? In how we talk? In how we engage in the world around us? In the clothes, cars and houses we buy?
The problem with trying to be normal is that it’s a myth. Each one of us is unique, one of a kind! There is no other person in the world, that has been or will ever be that is exactly like us. Even if we work to conform to what the world says is acceptable we will still remain our unique selves.
Fighting our uniqueness is exhausting and unhelpful. You are who you are! The quickest way to peace and contentment is find a way to be ok with the person in the mirror.
Sounds great, huh? How do we do that?
- Rather than focus on what everyone else is good at, focus on what you are good at
- Identify your individual and unique gifts & talents
- Acknowledge your areas of weakness and remind yourself that it’s part of being human, we all have them
- Don’t look to material things to fill the hole, it’s all temporary
- Engage your whole self - mind, body and spirit
- Get out and serve others, it can provide some well deserved perspective